Friday, January 3, 2014

Prepping for Gamicon, 2014


It's that time again. Time to get the games dusted off and spread the love for the lesser-known games at Gamicon in Iowa City.


Personally, it's also a challenge for me to put into practice some of what I've been learning from playing games during 2013. So I'm going to GM/Facilitate some "new" games, including: The Quiet Year, Psi*Run, Our Last Best Hope, and Lords of Gossamer & Shadow.

I was introduced to The Quiet Year at Forge Midwest, 2013 and while some may say it's not really a RPG, I've found it a fascinating game in the same manner of Microscope. However, it engaged me better through the mapping parts.

Psi*Run is a game that I first encountered at a prior Gamicon when Chris Moore visited and ran it as part of a long playtesting phase years ago. In 2012, after running a game of Psi*Run, Chris gave me a copy of the book that Meg Baker published. James S. has run it successfully many times and it continues to be a hit.

I played Our Last Best Hope online as part of Indie+ in January 2013. It was Facilitated by the creator, Mark Diaz Truman. It was a lot of fun and after the game I mentioned how I could see more adventures based on the premise of saving the world. Mark invited me to write one and the result was the Thule Mission, which was published in the Expansion Book.

Lords of Gossamer & Shadow is the spiritual successor to Amber Diceless RPG. It's also the first game that I supported financially (this was pre-Kickstarter), mostly because the writer, Jason Durall, is a friend and because I still have a soft spot for ADRPG with all the friends and fun shared through the years. I'm curious to see how LoGaS will diverge from ADRPG once a game gets going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels